Interview with Paloma Corral, our illustrator for “The house that shrinks” by Rafael Mendoza


1. What does being an illustrator mean to you?
It´s someone who decorates books and makes them more beautiful. Someone who gives another point of view to the text and brings new things, someone who helps you understand the story through images.
2. What/how do you feel when you draw?
Happy. I try to imagine the character and get into the scene. I often make gestures whilst I´m drawing and I tend to move or adopt postures that help me.
3. Sketch or finished piece?
Without a doubt,  I always prefer the beginning of a project, not when I finish it.
4. How do you start an illustration?
Starting with a pencil, I sketch then I paint it with a brush and finally I go over it with a coloured pencil. It’s my magic formula.
5. What’s the best piece of advice you´ve ever been given?
To be fearless with my work, not be afraid to wreck it. It´s always better to re-do an illustration because the idea of ​​improvement has failed than to leave it half done for fear of not being able to do it.
6. What illustrator do you admire?
It’s hard to choose but I admire Violeta Lopiz and often turn to her for inspiration. I like the line and style of her artwork and the concept and visual metaphors she uses.
2
7. What do colours mean to you?
For me it’s not the colours alone, but what the combinations suggest to me.
8. You´ve recently published “Inside the washing machine”. A story about Emma and her avid curiosity. The book has been printed in spanish and english with Apila publishers. What´s your favourite part?
Untitled
When Emma talks with the monster… it´s a great moment!
6
9.  Working with paper or digital?
I think the combination of both. I like the texture and the stain on the paper, but digital can be very useful for correcting compositions and placing items in the correct space.
10. A new project with Buhobooks, “The house that shrinks”, tell us a little bit about this new book.
It’s a very interestingly structured story. There´s repetition and constant changes in scale, which fascinated me from the beginning. The story is very current and contemporary  but also very touching and moving. I can´t wait to get started and put the image to words.
Paloma is currently working on the illustrations for our NEW bilingual picture book that will be released later this year.
Find out more about her here!

Comentarios